Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tokyo...Continued

As promised, more on my little Tokyo adventure:


The wonder that is yellow-shirt-JET-helpers...got us through Narita airport with no sweat (besides that emitted from Tokyo's 100+ degree heat and humidity)!


Our hotel, Keio Plaza, was down in the vibrant Shinjuku district of the city.  All of these neon lights constantly blink, "You're illiterate!  You're illiterate!  You're illiterate!"  It's a strange sensation, this mixed feeling of helplessness, curiosity, and excitement.




My first meal in Japan was at an INCREDIBLE hole-in-the-wall noodle shop down in the "blinky light district."  I chose what I wanted to eat by looking at a few plastic models in the window, finding the corresponding selection on the machine by the door, inserting probably a ridiculously large bill, and handing my meal ticket to the kitchen staff.  


Best meal EVER ordered from a machine:


Monday afternoon, I met up with my friend, Taka (met him in Dublin a few years ago) and his Korean friends for lunch.  This was my first experience with conveyor-belt sushi (where you simply select the plates of sushi you want as they spin along in front of you) and it was so, so fabulous!  I got stuffed on about 800 yen...the equivalent of about $8.




My first taste of the wonderful world o' Japan vending machines!


Back at orientation, or as I like to call it, "Brain and Butt Overload 2008" (we do a lot of sitting).


Last night, we had a enika (drinking/eating party) with those heading up to Hokkaido prefecture (about 30 of us) at this little place up the way from our hotel.




Tonight is one last spin out in Tokyo and then tomorrow, I'm on a plane again up north to Hokkaido, where my official life in Japan will begin!  I'm not sure of my internet access/availability yet, but I will be posting again as soon as I get the chance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

color me jealous.

I'm going to give you a linky-link to my blog someday. Then you can read about my recent trip to SF, CA.

Miss ya!