Thursday, November 6, 2008

オバマ!!!!!!! (OBAMA!!!!!!!)

Nice, nice job, America:


Yesterday was quite possibly the most nerve-wracking and butterfly-infested-stomach days I've ever had (well, outside of the disappointing great "Homecoming Queen 1999" candidate announcement back in high school...)!  As we're 14 hours ahead, I spent most of the day at work hitting "refresh" on the poll results and "invading" my co-workers desks with little American flags (in true "Amer-I-CAN spirit)!

Last night was a great Obama party down at one of the gaijin (foreigner) bars downtown run by an American ex-pat.  We watched the local Japanese news coverage of the election, as well as the taped version of Obama's acceptance speech from CNN (I don't think I've EVER had goose bumps from a presidential speech)!





















The party's presumed sponsor:


And, on top of it all, we made the newspaper!!   I was interviewed about my opinions on the election, Obama, and Japan-American relations, and gave a pretty riveting session if I do say so myself!  The caption states that Americans living in Sapporo celebrate Obama's win, although we told the reporter that the guy and the gal on the left are our current Couchsurfers from Ireland and Spain!  I guess those who don't look Japanese are...duh, duh, duh...American!   I'm, of course, in the white shirt in back (notice the dramatic power arm reserved for historic moments and tree-swinging)!

There were photocopies of this on everyone's desk when I arrived to work this morning!


So I thought I would treat all of you Obama-lovers with some Japanese-Obama-goodness.  This little video is about a town in Japan that loves, I mean LOVES, our new pres...I introduce to you, Obama City, Japan!!!  The first minute or so is typical newsroom jabber, but if you hang on, you will be rewarded with views of Japanese people so obsessed with Barack, that they've invented everything from Obama foods (Obama Burgers and Obama Mochi--Japanese rice sweet), to Obama-logo-infused kimonos, to opening the new Obama Onsen (hot springs).  It's pretty much amazing:



Thank you, America.

3 comments:

The Tilted Tulip said...

OMG! I love that the anchors bow to the audience before speaking. So. freakin'.awesome.

ThiessenTwosome said...

And, the little computerized lady on the ATMs also bows to you every time you make a transaction!!!

Yes, once you start bowing while you're on the phone, you know you've been in Japan too long...ha...

Anonymous said...

Henry and I are SO proud to say we are AMERICANS and we got to vote for the first black president with the name Barack Hussein Obama. We cried tears of joy and astonishment Tuesday night...a night we will never forget.